At Backroads we’re passionate about connecting our guests with so many of the most beautiful places in the world. We use our four plus decades of expertise to create exceptional biking, hiking and multi-adventure trips in over 50 countries for people wanting a deeper and richer travel experience. We travel on land as well as by small luxury ships on active river and ocean cruises. Our trips are for all ages – including dedicated itineraries just for families. We are known for our unwavering attention to quality. We have a dynamic work environment and a strong company culture.
This is a full-time, year-round position based in our home office in Berkeley, CA
PURPOSE OF JOB:
To manage guest-facing documents and internal workflow for trip-specific web pages, itineraries and related marketing campaigns; edit and write compelling and informative copy that reflects our company voice; research keywords; collaborate with field staff and across systems to bring a trip to life through the written word; and perform a variety of other editorial tasks, including fact-checking, editing and proofing.
IS THIS JOB RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you’re looking for a jet-setting travel writing job, this position may not be what you’re looking for. If you have a background in technical writing, copywriting or editing, this could be a great fit.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ownership of a portfolio of Travel Planners (trip itineraries) and trip web pages, which includes writing, editing and maintaining content on an annual timeline with mid-season updates as needed.
- Write, revise and refine copy that descriptively and accurately presents each trip’s daily activities, logistics and regional/cultural details, using information obtained from Trip Development staff and our trip management systems.
- Write trip copy specific for direct mail, blogs and social media.
- Collaboration with PPC team for ad copy write-up.
- Complete, format and publish Travel Planner PDFs for our guests with rigorous deadlines.
- Project management of all aspects of trip marketing using a variety of tools including CMS, Excel reports, internal reservation system, Teams channels and email communication.
- Assist with the transition of Marketing content from a legacy database to new custom-built CMS.
- Research and fact-check all additional regional information in Travel Planners, including hotel descriptions, prices and contact information, transportation options, climate information, travel document requirements, etc.
- Collaborate with Sales department to ensure Marketing delivers timely and accurate information for guests, prospective guests and our sales consultants.
- Adhere to the Backroads Style Manual and voice.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent copywriting, editing and proofreading skills (familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style desirable). Samples of previous work are required.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent organization and time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines is a must.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel, Teams and Outlook.
- Experience with Drupal a plus.
- Experience with Adobe suite a plus.
- Ability to multitask using multiple systems.
- Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time and occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
To apply to this full-time, Berkeley-based position:
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Marketing Writer & Editor” in the subject line of your email or by fax to (510) 527-1789, Attn: HR/ Marketing Writer & Editor:
- a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads
- your resume
- two original pieces of writing, including a 100-150 word writing sample about a Backroads destination of your choice
- salary requirements
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, and more.
Backroads is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.