Natural Habitat Adventures (Nat Hab), a Boulder, Colorado-based adventure travel company focused on nature and wildlife, is seeking a Destination Manager. The Destination Manager is a member of the Adventure Operations team, the department that coordinates all logistics behind the tripsNat Hab operates around the world. This position is primarily responsible for the complete planning and execution of trips among Nat Hab’s global portfolio of adventures, working closely with third-party partners, field staff and other members of the department.
- Develop, organize and operate Nat Hab’s trip itineraries to the highest possible standards
- Liaise and negotiate with operators and/or vendors around the world to manage all trip logistics and reservations required, such as hotel nights, restaurants, trip activities, permits, and transportation.
- Provide content for and maintain digital and print marketing materials, monitor sales performance and gross margin, and develop trip pricing.
- Organize, build and ensure the complete accuracy of dates, pricing and other key trip details in our CRM software and on the Nat Hab website.
- Provide support for field staff, helping to ensure trip quality and safety as well as branding in the field.
- Act as a resource for in-house Adventure Specialist and Guest Services colleagues regarding trip-specific information such as itinerary, hotel, meal or transportation details.
- Ensure guides are prepared with pre-trip instructions and complete traveler information.
- Act as a problem-solver for guides, field staff and operators as required, including nights and weekends if necessary.
- Destination Managers are also responsible for Nat Hab’s after-hours phone approximately 4 weeks a year for emergency coverage.
- Continually review and implement feedback from guests and guides to improve future departures.
- Ensure partners are compliant in terms of risk management, contracts, insurance and other details.
- Assist in the planning and execution of Expedition Leader training retreats locally and around the world.
- Review and approve invoicing from vendors.
- The position may include other responsibilities and opportunities not listed above.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least 3 years' experience in a logistics/operations-related role is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in travel is preferred.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented; able to prioritize and efficiently manage multiple tasks, consistently meeting scheduled deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that enable working effectively with a variety of partners in our office and around the world.
- Enjoys adapting to new priorities and deadlines in a high-paced and fast-changing environment; able to excel working both individually and as part of a team.
- Computer database software experience is a plus (or the ability to learn quickly).
- Advanced proficiency in Excel is preferred.
- Ability to work flexible, extended and weekend hours as needed.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Salary Range: $55,000 - $65,000 plus annual bonus.
This position comes with generous PTO and paid holidays. Benefits include site inspection on Nat Hab trips, pro deals on outdoor clothing, onsite fitness facility and exercise classes (currently suspended due to COVID-19). Eligibility for medical insurance, participation in 401(k) with company match and parental leave after a predetermined period of time.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
In addition to the benefit of having 2 weeks of site inspection on Nat Hab trips where one is a participant on a scheduled program, the Destination Manager would be expected to travel approximately 2 additional weeks a year in order to build field knowledge, improve trip itineraries, potentially develop new programs and to build rapport with partners around the world.
Remote employees are generally expected to attend 3 to 4 annual day-long retreats in Boulder, Colorado (Retreats are currently being modified or suspended due to COVID-19). Staff may also be required to come to the office at other times throughout the year. (COVID-19 vaccination is currently required for all in-person gatherings and entry into the Boulder office).
About Nat Hab
Natural Habitat Adventures is a growing company that welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. We seek to maintain a welcoming, inclusive and high-performing culture in our office and in the field. Even if you don’t have experience in the travel sector, we invite you to show us how you can help Nat Hab become an even stronger company.
Our culture is built around our Core Ideologies, which are not empty ideas we write down and forget—we adhere to them faithfully, and they drive our decision-making every day:
- Continually improve as a company and as individuals
- A remarkable guest experience will be the driving force in every aspect of our business
- Consistently raise the bar on conservation
- Appreciate your colleagues and treat them with respect
- Autonomy, individual and team initiative shall be our modus operandi
- Have fun, take your work very seriously and yourself not too seriously
How to Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and one-page resume to the Adventure Operations leadership team (email@example.com). No phone calls please. Applicants will be contacted only in the event we wish to pursue their candidacy. The application deadline is by the end of the day on Monday, December 13, 2021.